Saturday 6th May 2017

I had a really great day today. The weather was perfect – blue skies the whole day without a cloud and a really hot but not humid climate. I went for a quick run and stroll round campus then drove to Boynton Beach to meet Lisa from work and her partner Tom for brunch at Deck84. This was a lovely place, which overlooks the marina and we had a brunch and also bucks fizz. Lisa and Tom were great company and we had a stroll around the harbour afterwards.

I left them and strolled around Boynton Beach for a while and then drove along to Highland Beach, got the key to the private beach from outside Gino’s villa and walked across to the beach. Today it looked nicer and more idyllic than I had ever seen it – the seaweed had been cleaned up and the tide was out further because it was such a settle day. I lay in the sun for a good couple of hours, went into the water for a while and it was so still it was just great. I had a final walk along the beach and then walked back to the car outside our old villa. I drove off and said my goodbyes to Highland Beach, drove back to the apartment and did the final packing up, washing and cleaning of the kitchen, fridge and worktops.

I then had dinner and then got ready and drove down to Daniele’s apartment which is on A1A but the opposite side from Highland Beach, going right off Spanish Rover Boulevard. She lives in a beautiful apartment on the 15th floor with amazing views right across the Ocean. Daniele had prepared loads of food, a pina colada cocktail and loads of other drinks. Vaugh, Cindy and their kids were there – I told Arial that Alan is missing her and her mum is going to try and get them connected on FaceTime tomorrow. there were quite a lot of the graduate students there – most of the ones from my class, and it was just a lovely evening. Daniele had had a special birthday cake made for me – a traditional Brazilian recipe with coconut and pineapple and they all sang happy birthday to me and I blew out a candle. Daniele told she had contacted my sister Lyn today and sent her a photo of the cake!

It was a really special day and evening, and I said my goodbyes and left at 11.30 and Lisa and Daniele walked to the elevator with me and said cheerio. These are such special people who I hope I manage to keep in touch with.

Leave a Reply